Rooted in the values of peace and justice, BCA Study Abroad promotes international understanding, awareness of global citizenship, and academic scholarship through educational exchanges.
Title: Director of Academic Affairs
Supervisor: BCA President
Updated: December 2013
BCA Study Abroad, an independent, non-profit 501(c)(3), international education organization founded in 1962 by a consortium of seven colleges of the Brethren tradition, promotes international understanding, awareness of global citizenship, and academic scholarship through educational exchanges. BCA offers summer, semester and yearlong study abroad programs with the goal of helping students understand the complexities of the contemporary world by providing engaging academic programs and cross-cultural learning in locations around the globe.
The Director of Academic Affairs serves as the chief academic and program officer for BCA Study Abroad with a focus on creating and strengthening partnerships within academic departments and study abroad offices at U.S. colleges and universities. The Director of Academic Affairs plays a key leadership role in all areas of BCA’s academic programs and ensures the highest standards of quality. The Director of Academic Affairs contributes to the shaping and implementation of BCA’s strategies toward program development and improvement and decisions on resource allocation and personnel. The Director of Academic Affairs collaborates with university administrators in the U.S. and abroad regarding academic content, student affairs, and program management. The position is based in BCA’s U.S. Central Office in Elizabethtown, PA.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
External Partnerships and Collaboration
1. Work collaboratively with BCA’s existing and prospective U.S.-based colleges and universities regarding program content and academic offerings. This requires actively representing BCA’s programs to faculty and study abroad administrators and close collaboration with these partners on academic projects of mutual interest.
2. Promote the mission of BCA Study Abroad through all aspects of BCA’s programming, external representation and participation in implementation and development of strategic plans.
Program Development and Quality Assessment
1. Provide creative leadership in the planning, development and implementation of new curricular or programmatic offerings. This requires building relationships or expanding partnerships with overseas institutions.
2. Lead assessment efforts to evaluate BCA academic programs. With the collaboration of overseas resident directors, create and implement plans to achieve, maintain, and enhance academic and administrative quality of BCA programs.
3. Oversee and enhance the experiential learning opportunities in BCA’s programs. This includes the academic administration of policies and procedures regarding internships, service learning, independent study projects and field study placements in addition to management of program personnel in pursuing new experiential learning opportunities.
1. Work in cooperation with the BCA Study Abroad Academic Council regarding academic policy and procedures and maintain compliance with these standards among BCA program activities.
2. Provide management oversight for all programs and program personnel to ensure the effective delivery of program services and quality academic offerings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND DESIRED TRAITS:
1. Master’s Degree required, Ph.D. or Ed.D. preferred, with ten or more years of study abroad managerial experience including experience in developing and managing study abroad academic programs. International experience and/or 2nd language proficiency is desired.
2. Track record of proven leadership with experience in working collaboratively to respond to operational and programmatic issues.
3. Experience in the development of study abroad programs including planning, implementation and promotion of programs.
4. Knowledge of U.S. and international higher education systems.
5. Knowledge of assessment and program evaluation strategies with a focus on program improvement.
6. Superior oral and written communication skills.
7. Team player with the ability to work within a small office structure and respond to challenges of small business environment.
8. An individual of highest integrity in all areas of academic administration, general business practices and personal conduct.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of introduction, a resume, and the names of three current references to hr@BCAstudyabroad.org. The deadline for submission is January 31, 2014. BCA Study Abroad is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
To be considered for future positions, you may submit a resume to: hr@BCAstudyabroad.org or send to the mailing address below.
BCA Study Abroad: Human Resources
50 Alpha Drive
Elizabethtown, PA 17022